11.01.2004

Tale of a 9/12 Democrat!

That's not a typo! Let me explain. I am genetically programmed to hate Republicans. No, I'm not black -- I'm Jewish! For some reason, we all vote Democratic. It's the social-justice thing, they tell me. Or the collective unconscious memory of restrictive country clubs! Besides my Dad, who was ostracized from the family, I'd never even heard of a Jewish Republican.

Here are my bona-fides -- when I was a little cherub who couldn't even drive I volunteered for Walter Mondale. I was not just a born Democrat, I had an inbred sympathy for obvious losers! I passed out Mondale-Ferraro pamphlets and had absolutely no embarassment at all! I knew in my heart that Reagan was an evil heartless man who was waging an assault on the poor. He was a trigger-happy cowboy! He created the homeless problem!

Things got more left from there. I discovered I was gay! That made me hate Reagan and Bush and Republicans even more. I joined ACT-UP in college and protested the system, raining special bile down on Reagan and Bush and all of them. I even hated Andrew Sullivan! (more on that later). I moved to a lefty city-state after college and joined a Democratic political consulting firm for a few years. So I've walked the walk and talked the talk! I fought for my party, I cried when Clinton was elected, I rallied around him when the evil Repubs tried to impeach him, and ranted about Bush stealing the election in 2000.

So the morning of 9/11, I woke up in my apartment on the Lower East Side of Manhattan a lefty Democrat. I was, no kidding, even living with a delightful French Arab girl named Jamilla. I was a UN-loving, multi-culti Bush hater even on 9/11 -- note this segment of my journal of that terrible day:

People are getting together at my friend Chad’s house. It’s his Birthday. He cancelled his party. But still, he wants to be together with the people he loves. I bike over there. The city is abandoned. Nobody is on the street. Most of the stores are shut down. I’ve never seen it like this. The cops have closed off my part of Manhattan. Is this how the world ends? I get to Chad’s.

It seems normal there. But everyone is watching the projection TV. Happy Birthday Chad! We all knew your birthday was a day that was going to live in infamy, hahaha. Bush is on the TV. I can’t watch him! He’s not my President! He looks overwhelmed. He’s trying to reassure us! Ha! Bush is trying to reassure us!


So I never liked Bush! (OK, OK, now I realize this is just a defensive pre-emptive strike to deter attacks on me as a Republican bloodthirsty warmonger. I still feel guilty! Somewhere not so deep inside it is forbiddent to support Repubs. So sue me!)

It really was the post-9/11 reaction by the Left which I found so disturbing, so pathologically delusional in their refusal to deal with the existance of evil, so desperate to link all bad acts in the world to America, that pushed me away from the left. Some examples (grabbed for convenience' sake from andrewsullivan.com) in that time was SF supervisor Amos Brown blaming 9/11 on American failure to be nice at the Global Warming summit .

Also note the initial reaction of Michael Moore -- THE ugly, gluttonous id of the American left (in this case, the id stands for idiot) --

"Many Families have been devastated tonight. This is just not right. They did not deserve to die. If someone did this to get back at Bush, then they did so by killing thousands of people who DID NOT VOTE for him! Boston, New York, DC and the planes' destination of California - these where places that voted AGAINST Bush!"


Americans did deserve to die -- just not all the ones that Bin Laden killed!

Or Susan Sontag, a leftist intellectual hero in my milieu--

Where is the acknowledgment that this was not a "cowardly" attack on "civilization" or "liberty" or "humanity" or "the free world" but an attack on the world's self-proclaimed superpower, undertaken as a consequence of specific American alliances and actions?


That first week, trying to find my poise, trying to make sense of the world after the attacks, I saw very clearly that some on the Left were, well, pretty happy about the whole thing. Not overjoyed, but they found the attack useful. America was the problem, you see, and this might just wake us up! They were using the mass murder of 9/11 to score points for "their team" -- to bash these "specific American alliances and actions" that they supposed were causing all this unpleasantness. It was just too ugly to bear, the intellectual equivalent of Palestianians dancing in the street after the towers fell.

So I moved away. Slowly. The absolute best explanation of the revulsion I felt at my former home in the left was penned (keystroked?) by Ron Rosenbaum in the NY Observer. A classic.

So, today, I am neither left nor right. I count myself as a single-issue voter. If one believes that the War on Islamic Fascism is the single most important issue of our day, as I do, and that this War cannot be solely diplomatic but will include military threats, actions, incursions, or outright invasions in the future, then I don't understand how anyone can vote for John Kerry. Guys, get real. He voted AGAINST the first Persian Gulf War when Saddam had invaded a sovereign country, sat on a quarter of the world's oil, threatened Saudi Arabia, and even the rotting UN roused itself to demand he withdraw or face consequences. He is not the man to lead in wartime.

Best description of my views of the global situation, the Islamist enemy, historical background, where Iraq fits in can be found here (warning! PDF file!)

We are in the beginning of World War IV. Against an enemy that must be killed, broken, and rebuilt. Tonight, all free peoples should pray that Republican George Bush be re-elected. And my family and friends should pray for my eternal soul.

9 Comments:

Blogger Final Historian said...

Wow.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, you made an antisemite outta me.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I know many, many people who crossed party lines to vote for Bush on Tuesday, for the same reasons you cite: the left has utterly
lost it and can no longer be trusted with the presidency in wartime.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

persuasive and touching...what else can i say?
BTW, what happened to Jamilla?

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to quote an entire paragraph of yours here:So, today, I am neither left nor right. I count myself as a single-issue voter. If one believes that the War on Islamic Fascism is the single most important issue of our day, as I do, and that this War cannot be solely diplomatic but will include military threats, actions, incursions, or outright invasions in the future, then I don't understand how anyone can vote for John Kerry. Guys, get real. He voted AGAINST the first Persian Gulf War when Saddam had invaded a sovereign country, sat on a quarter of the world's oil, threatened Saudi Arabia, and even the rotting UN roused itself to demand he withdraw or face consequences. He is not the man to lead in wartime.That's one of the best paragraphs I have read about our choice in November 2004. Thanks...

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed and support you. You saw through the empty suit that was Kerry, the say-anything do-anything b-s that the majority of Americans did. There's no denying Bush has problems but a country must be led by someone with beliefs, not a transprently empty suit full of empty political mealymouthed plans and plans and more plans.

Bravo.

11:44 PM  
Blogger AFbrat said...

Thank you, thank you. As of 9/11, I'm a single issue voter, too. I worry about those Americans that don't seem to understand that Western Civ is under attack, and that the weapons available today are very different from the weapons available to our enemies during VietNam, Korea, WWII and I. I look forward to visitng your blog again. And, yes, what did happen to Jamilla?

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto here......I'm 52 and this is the first time I've voted for a Republican Pres candidate...Four years ago, I was enraged at Bush, convinced that he's stolen the election...Now my rage is directed at the Dems, for their willfull blindness concerning the threat facing the West, for their embracing of the dishonest progandist, Michael Moore and for their unwillingness to run an FDR, a Wilson or a real JFK for president....

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm relieved to hear one of the posters here speaking of the danger to Western Civilization. It isn't just about America, much as we love her. Our entire way of life, literature, culture, values, tolerance of one another, rule of law -- all are under vicious attack. It is so disturbing to see how these people on the Left cannot see it.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home